Library ResourcesPrinted Materials | Electronic Resources | Audio-Visual/Multimedia Collection
The Main Collection in IVE LRCs is available for loan. The books in the collection are shelved by call number from the Library of Congress Classification Scheme. Users should check VTC Online Catalogue to find the call numbers of library materials for their exact locations.
The Reference Collection includes materials such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, yearbooks, handbooks, directories, almanacs, Laws of Hong Kong and atlases, etc. Reference books are indicated by a prefix “REF” to the call number. They are for quick reference and should be used in LRCs.
Current issues of periodicals are displayed on periodical racks while back issues are kept inside the racks or in the closed stack. Bound volumes of periodicals are located on the bookshelves separately to the current issues. All periodicals are indicated by a prefix “PER” to the call number.
Current issues of newspapers are displayed on newspaper stands while back issues are kept separately and are available for loan upon request for a short period of time. All major local newspapers including the South China Morning Post may be searched and retrieved from the WiseNews database. Some major English newspapers from China, Taiwan, Asia-Pacific and U.S.A., including the South China Morning Post, are available from the Lexis and Nexis Academic Universe database.
As requested by teaching staff, LRCs may put books or other materials with a heavy demand in the Reserve Collection for short-term loan. The collection is available upon request.
The Closed Collection consists of materials that are kept in the closed stack for approved access. They are available upon request and may be checked out if needed.
- Prospectuses of Tertiary Institutions - Some prospectuses and calendars from overseas and local universities and colleges are available in LRCs.
- Annual Reports - A nnual reports of local and overseas listed companies and non-profit making organizations can be found in some LRCs.
- Past Examination Papers & Syllabuses of Professional Institutes -The IVE LRCs hold a collection of syllabuses, and past examination papers of selected professional organizations such as the Institute of Marketing, ICMA, ICSA, City and Guilds, LCCI, ACCA and Pitman. This collection may be shelved as part of the Reference Collection or separately.
- Government Publications - Government publications including ordinances, gazettes and papers issued by different governmental departments are kept in LRCs.
- VTC Publications - VTC publications include reports and surveys published regularly by various VTC Industry Training Boards. This collection may be shelved as part of the Reference Collection or separately.